Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Review: b Collection by Bloom Nail Lacquers

I'm going through a nail lacquer obsession at the moment and have been browsing counters looking for new colours to try.

The display unit at Target caught my eyes the other day as it carried a large array of colours - over 70 including new additions from the b Collection by Bloom line. Launched late last year, this is a line that is created by Natalie Bloom specifically for Target and showcases high impact colour with fairly chip resistant with fabulous names after the cities across the world.

I picked up 2 bottles to try: Ibiza and Oslo for their gorgeous colours.
  • Ibiza is a bright opaque coral pink colour that reminds of me of the upcoming racing carnival season.
  • Oslo is a opaque mushroom taupe shade that is soft and muted and perfect for neutral looks.
Oslo & Ibiza

How it performed
  • Is 3T free - no nasty chemicals here.
  • Is glossy and shiny when I managed to get an even coat. 
  • fairly quick drying, each coat takes about a minute.
  • Application wise, the formula was very thick and difficult to apply.
  • You need to apply the varnish quite thickly to avoid streaks and need to be very precise with your strokes as going over the nail multi-time messes it up.
  • 2 coats required for Ibiza while after 3 coats, Oslo was still showing streaks and I did not manage to get a nice even finish with it.
  • Ibiza was quite chip resistant and lasted 3 days without top coat before fading on the edges. With a top coat, this lasted 5-6 days depending on how much cleaning I did during the week. I did not wear Oslo for long as I couldn't work with its finish.


Ibiza - 2 coats
Oslo - still streaky after 3 coats

Final Thoughts
The colour selection is vast and there are some unique shades in the line. I may have bought bad apples but to have both shades play up on me is too much of a coincidence. I've had better performing nail colours from cheaper brands (eg. Rimmel). Unless you have a phD in nail application, give this line a miss as it is not worth the frustration to get a even, streak-free finish.

I'm off to thin these formulas down and see if I can salvage them. Will report back on my results soon.
 

Rating: 3/10. Streaky and thick formula is not for me. RRP A$14.95 at Target

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review! I was contemplating whether to get these. The coral is lovely but I prefer higher end formulas like Orly and I'm waiting for ButterLondon (order on its way!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh the ibiza colour looks great on your nails! Have you visited Mecca Cosmetics yet for a freebie nail polish they're currently giving away? In either bright pink or purple :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ibiza is fab and now that I've fixed the formula, it is getting alot of my love.

    I don't think that b by Bloom formulas holds a candle against the formulas of cheaper brands - Cutex, Revlon and Rimmel are fantastic and very decently priced.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.