Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Review: Manicare Cellulite Body Brush

In anticipation of warmer weather (which is nowhere in sight in Melbourne right now - all we get is rain and cold), I'm trying to get my dull looking body looking polished so I don't scare the public when I finally put on a skirt and bare my legs without hiding it under tights or pantyhose.

So on top of my normal moisturising routine, I've decided to add in a dry brushing step to fast track the process of getting soft glowing skin for this upcoming summer when it finally arrives.

If dry brushing is currently a foreign concept for you, let me give you a quick low down. It entails using a dry dense natural bristle brush to give your hot naked body a good scrub before showering. The benefits of dry brushing include:
  • exfoliation of dry dead skin cells
  • improved blood circulation by bringing blood to the surface and help to flush toxins from your skin
  • improved appearance of dimply skin and cellulite. 
Finding the brush with the right level of firmness is the key to success for a good dry brush so I hunted around and finally settled on:

Manicare Cellulite Bristle Brush



  • Quick & easy to use.
  • Firm & dense natural fibre bristles that is evenly cut on one end and rubber nodules on the other to give body an invigorating massage. 
  • Nice sturdy long handle with a rubber grip allows easy reach of backs and derrières.
  • Great for prepping the skin for that faux tan or to remove it when it becomes patchy and has seen better days.
How it Performed
  • I rarely use the nodules as I don't find it give a great massage and it is hard to grip with the bristles on the other side, but I  <3 the brush side to brush my legs and body. I definitely notice that skin is less dull and not as scaly or flaky as before. 
  • After brushing for about 2 minutes, it can leave your skin slightly red if you apply too much pressure when brushing, but that quickly goes away once you jump into the shower - besides, firm brushing is better for the circulation!
  • Helps remove sebum and grease from bacne prone skin and unclog pores and clear up blemishes- bikini body, here I come. 
  • Body lotions and moisturisers sink into skin faster and works better than ever.
  • This is marketed as a cellulite reducing brush through the massaging properties - thankfully I don't have any cellulite so can't comment on that whether it delivers improvements. Besides, preventions are always better than cures :D
  • I wash this brush once a week in soapy water and hang it out to dry to ensure it stays clean and bacteria free. 
IMHO, this tool is better than most body scrubs out there and is definitely worth having look if you have not yet considered adding dry brushing to your body care routine.

Rating: 9/10. RRP A$14.95 at Priceline, Myer and leading pharmacies. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh lovely! I've never tried dry brushing but my legs are looking rather icky at the moment so might give this a go!

    Great review :)

    http://www.lovevulcanella.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a body shop one.....it went mouldy rather fast during winter as my bathroom is tiny & the tiled walls stay damp for ages after showering :(
    Maybe if I move somewhere with a larger bathroom, I'll have more luck with it staying dry! I'd quite like to purchase this otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Melbournite - Yes, it can get damp in non-ventilated bathrooms, buy one of those suction cup hook things and hang it on the other side of the bathroom rather than inside the bathtub to try and keep it dry.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.