Thursday, June 9, 2011

Potent Line Erasers

Sometimes your skin just needs more than the average moisturising and you need extra fighting powers in your skincare arsenal to target specific skin concerns.

In adult skin, the main skin concerns are fine lines, pigmentation, wrinkles and hormonal break outs.  Today we'll look at line erasing products that actually works. 

The most effective and scientifcally proven line minimising products are retinoids, which is a derivative of vitamin A.

Unfortunately the good stuff (retin-A which is tretinoin -a retinoic acid at concentrations of 0.01% .025% 0.05%) are available prescription-only in Australia and are usually prescribed by the local GP for acne treatment as it speeds up the shedding of outer layer skin (epidermis) to reveal softer new skin and stimulates the production of collagen on the dermis layer of skin for baby plump skin (which btw is a great treatment for reducing the dimply appearance of stretchmarks). 

Retin-A is prescription-only and costs A$30 a 20g tube
As doctors don't usually write these out to save you from wrinkles, you may have to look online for sites that offer to sell them without a script but I find this somewhat dubious so would advise you to go see a dermatologist and pester them for a script instead.

If all that is too hard for you, then your best bet is the poor man's version of the activie ingredient in the form of retinol. Retinol isn't as potent as the prescription stuff (because it needs to break down to retinoic acid first, resulting in a lower concentration of the available active ingredient to it works its magic on lines and wrinkles) but still can gently refine your skin over time.

The other products that help to refine skin is alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), which dissolves the glue that keeps the dead skin cells on the surface of skin that can dull your complexion and help to reveal newer soft skin.

Like any other skin thinning products those, it makes you sensitive to the sun's rays so I cannot stress enough you need to cover up with sunscreen or best yet, a hat  and long sleeved shirt to make sure you don't damage the newly revealed skin.

Although I have access to Retin-A via my dermatologist, I find that it can be too strong on my skin and make my face peel like an onion which is not a good look. So retinol products have its place in my vanity table as it's milder and the peeling effects are not as promininent. My current favourite retinol product is from Roc.


Roc Retin-Ox Intensive Anti-wrinkle Cream Night 30ml - A$49.95 
I use this twice a week for a dose of retinoid on my skin in a bid to minimise and delay the deepening of fine lines Cream based, it spreads easily and has a very pleasant albeit slightly strong scent that some people may find too much. The next day my face is soft, supple and the fine lines look lighter. 

There's now a new version of this called Retin-OX wrinkle filler with retinol and hyaluronic acid which I haven't yet tried but I am really impressed with it's predecessor so have high expectation of the incumbent.


Alpha-H Liquid Gold - 100ml A$57.50

I use this once a week in place of a serum. This golden brown liquid has a distinct scent (not unpleasant but there is alcohol in it) improves and clarifies skintones, removes dry patches and firms and refines skin with 10% glycolic acid. It's also great at fading blemish scars but do cause skin sensitivity by thinning the upper layer of skin so be sure the use it only at night and top up with the sunscreen during the day

Skin Plumpers
With all these skin thinning and high actives ingredients, you need to plump the skin up with something that mimics its own fat to keep the youthful look. Nothing like essential fatty acids omega 3 and 6 to help revitalise your carefully prepped skin from all those other skin refining products.


Organic Rose Hip Oil 100ml - A$18

On dehyrdrated days, my skin just drinks this right up. I love it around the eye areas to plump the skin up and with all the essential fatty acids and high vitamin C concentration, it repairs and protects and brightens. A must have for me during winter months. Read more about my love for it here.

What do you use to combat the signs of aging? Would you resort to surgery?

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I need to start doing my research on this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, I'm still undecided about what approach I'm going to take to ageing, I have forehead lines that bug me so perhaps botox in the future, maybe some laser or IPL for my skin pigmentation (freckles) I might look into ROC and see if they have any body products (I'd love to get rid of my stretch marks eventually)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.