Monday, August 30, 2010

Review: Organic Rosehip Oil (rosa rubiginosa)

In my last post, I wrote about my love for rosehip oil (RHO) but found that most of the commercial brands sold rosehip oil in small bottles of 15 to 25ml at $20 - $25 a pop. This eventually ends up being costly as I use it as a treatment serum on my face and for stretchmarks as well as a moisturising treatment on my arms and legs and use up the small bottle within 2 weeks.

So in search for bulk quantities at more affordable prices, I embarked on some research to find out more on rosehip oil.

Rosehip oil facts
Rose hip seeds
  • rosehip oil is made from rose hip seeds - that's the red seeds of roses after it has finished flowering
  • is a dry oil and has a high absorbption rate through the skin
  • a natural remedy for treating common colds and flu, scurvy and even diarrhea
  • contains linolenic and linoleic fatty acids, giving it antiseptic and astringent properties, which makes rosehip seed oil an effective treatment for many skin conditions including burns, boils, varicose veins and acne
  • helps with regeneration and repair of of skin cells and skin tissue. Made of 80% fatty acids, it assists with the production of collagen and elastin to rebuild skin
  • high in vitamin C - a skin brightening agent, vitamin A & Beta-carotene - great for fine line and wrinkle smoothing and sun damaged skin
  • helps fades scars and reduce skin pigmentations
  • reduce appearance of stretchmarks

Fresh wholesale quantities
Through my search, I met the lovely Jacqui of Tassie based Essential Oils & Soap, who stocks 100% organic and unrefined Rosa Rubiginosa from Chile at A$18 for 100ml bottle (she actually fills it to the brim and it is labelled as 110ml). She's saved my wallet and my skin with her lovely products selling natural soaps and other oils as well.

    Organic cold pressed rosehip oil
    • has a slightly smokey tea leaf scent when applied undiluted
    • has all the qualities I love of the SHE rosehip oil but without the price tag to go with it. I'm converted and so is my mum, who often steals my bottle of RHO to use.
    • to speed up the already quick oil absorption, use after showering so skin just soaks the oil up
    • cold pressed rosa rubiginosa (aka rosa mosqueta) is the higher quality rose hip oil and is sourced from Chile. Rosa Canina, another type of rosehip oil and can be sourced from various parts around the world and has similar essential fatty acid and vitamin properties as rosa rubiginosa. If the choice is there - always buy rosa rubiginosa
    • cold pressed rosehip oil has a shelf life of approximately and should really be stored refrigerated. After that the oil goes rancid and may not have as many benefits as fresh oil do
    • Companies usually add in vitamin E (natural anit-oxidant) to stabilise rosehip oils. Add some vitamin E by breaking a capsule or two into your oil mix to make sure it stays fresh and good

    Tip: if you find the natural smokey tea scent a bit too strong for your liking on the face, mix 2 part rosehip oil with 1 part jojoba oil (a great non-greasy oil that has properties like skin's natural sebum) and a few drops of your favourite essential oil (eg. lavender) to give skin its moisturising needs while the rosehip does the hard work to heal/renew the skin.

    So if you are also looking for affordable RHO, do give this organic and fresh version a try. Your skin will thank you for using the best quality product available while keeping your wallet happy (so you can buy more beauty items to try).

    Rating: 10/10. Definitely a must have oil for in my daily skincare routine for refining and firming of skin. 

    Pure Rosa Rubiginosa oil RRP $A7.70/$A18 for 25ml/100ml at Essential Oils & Soap.

    6 comments:

    1. oooh I'm crazy for RHO I'll have to check out the site :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. Organic hip oil is very nice product. This is dry oil and has a high absorption rate through the skin helps fades scars and reduces skin pigmentations .A natural remedy for treating common colds and flu, scurvy and even diarrhea. I feel of the oil free on my skin. Thanks for sharing with us.
      rosehip oils

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am absolutely loving rosehip oil-i don´t want to miss it in my beautyroutine!
      http://h-bsch.blogspot.co.at/2012/06/rosehip-oil-miraculous-cure.html

      xo
      K.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi Amy,
      I have only just found out about Rosehip Oil. Just wondering if you are still using it. If so, how are you finding it after over 3 years of using it?
      The bottle in the photo looks like a plastic one. I remember reading it some time ago that pure oil needs to be stored in a glass bottle. From what I have read about Rosehip Oil, I would think that it needed to be shipped and stored in a dark coloured glass bottle.
      Lisa

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. @LT - yes I still do use rosehip oil today, but not neat (ie. on it's own) anymore. I mix it with vitamin C, borage and argan oil for my DIY skincare and love that mixture so much (will have to do a post on it).

        You are correct, it should be stored in a dark cool place to prevent spoilage and prolong the life of the oil. I actually store my oils (all of them except jojoba) in the fridge as it retards the oxidation of the oils and prevents it from going rancid too quickly. Glass bottles are the best way to store it as it prevents light from oxidising it but for shipping purposes, plastic is often chosen to avoid breakages.

        You can transfer it into your own glass bottles if you buy them in plastic ones. I haven't as I find that the fridge is generally dark and cold enough (except when we open the door and the light is on) to prolong its shelf life.

        Hope that helps.

        Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.