Wednesday, January 11, 2012

December Highlights: Interviewing Natalie Bloom

With the festivities of Christmas and the holiday season last month, I was grateful for a relatively quiet month on the beauty front.

I did, however, have the pleasure of meeting and interviewing the amazing Natalie Bloom, entrepreneurial beauty addict and founder of Bloom Cosmetics.

At 40, Natalie is a mother of 4 (the youngest is just 4 months old!) and racing at 100 kilometres an hour daily to grow her hugely successful Bloom Cosmetic that is currently turning over sales of more than $20 million annually. 
Natalie Bloom - image courtesy Ben Swinnerton | Herald Sun
I chatted with Natalie before Christmas about her love for design and beauty and everything else in between.

How did you take that leap from your passion of arts and graphic design and turn it into a business?
I studied graphics design in my Arts degree and it started with designing cards while I was a freelance designer. It was the encouragement of my then boyfriend (now husband) that I took the plunge and started my own business printing cards. Nowadays at Bloom, I’m all about artistic and creative direction and collaborating with talented Australian artists like Beci Ophin and David Band to design our packaging.

How did Bloom Cosmetics start?
What launched bloom as a cosmetics brand is the lip balms which is the heart of Bloom with only natural based ingredients and they are still a core product in our range today. The DIY kits with candle and potpourri making kits were also popular and developed a big following.
The success spurred us to develop a lipgloss at a time when lip glosses weren’t as mainstream as they are today and the business just grew from there. From then we launched eye products, then the complexion products and the rest as they say, is history.

What can we look forward to next with Bloom in the new year?
Well Bloom Cosmetics will turn 19 in March, which is a fantastic milestone. We will be growing our organics range which will launch new body care products which I’m very excited about. I’m very much into the organics and healthy living at home with my 4 kids. I’m what is termed a dark-green consumer (using only environmentally-friendly products at home).

What are your favourite products from your lines?
This is like asking me which on my kids are my favourite! I love them all but I’m fanatical about our lip gloss as that’s what launched the brand. I also love our newly launched candles and we have what I think is the best mascara with the full and flirty mascara which is made in Italy. Then there are the eyeshadows which are just beautiful.  

How do you maintain a work-life balance with 4 children , especially with such a young son who is only 4 months old?
It’s a constant juggle; sometimes one takes over another depending on what needs your urgent attention at that point in time and it’s constantly changing.
I’m very grateful for my supportive husband who has flexible working hours and can help with looking after the kids when at work. My 4 month old son comes to work with me on certain days as I’m still breast feeding and I have a nanny 3 days a week to help me out at home. Without these support, I definitely don’t think I will manage as well as I do.

Do you think there is a tension between the traditional bricks and mortar stores and online stores? Who do you think would come out on top?
In today’s climate, I think you need a presence in both and they really enhance the experience of each other. Since the relaunch of Bloom’s website we have seen our sales double but we also don’t see a decline in sales volume in our retail presence.
I think online is great for doing short and sharp promotions and can cater internationally (we are working on making our online store available to international customers but have to iron out some bumps first) but a retail presence adds the personal touch to the shopping experience and that is why retail will always have a place in the business. It’s about finding the right mix of online and offline and making that connection to get people from looking at the screen to walking into stores.

Natalie & I

So there you have it, the online and offline debate is going to fizzle out and the two will end up being complementary channels if Natalie is to have her way with it.

Thank you Natalie for taking the time out of your busy schedule to chat with me.

Beauty In Bloom Giveaway
Natalie is also kind enough to sponsor a giveaway of her book- Beauty in Bloom: A collection of beautiful inspirations.

Beauty in Bloom is an inspirational, eclectic and stylish compendium of all things beautiful from Natalie Bloom, founder of Bloom Cosmetics. From the love of makeup to inner beauty, nature to notebooks, from perfumes to Paris, Beauty in Bloom is about making us look beautiful, feel beautiful and above all be inspired by beauty. If you want to win this special book.
To win a signed copy of this book (yes, I've confirmed Natalie will be signing your book!), all you have to do is tell me what inspires you every day?

The most creative answer will be judged as the winner. Readers can enter mulitples times but each separate entry must be a unique answer.
This competition ends on midnight AEST 22nd January so don't forget to get your entries in!
This competition is open to all readers, international or in Australia.

4 comments:

  1. I'm inspired by my mum because she just has the mojo to continue on the day every day without fail. I wish I had her internal drive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother inspires me each and everyday without fail. She is such a strong person who gets up and goes to work for 12+ hours to provide for her family. She doesn't complain when things don't go her way. She takes it as a learning lesson. She has taught me everything I know and I can be just even half the woman she is one day, I will be happy. She has gone through so much hardships in her life and appreciates every little thing and is never selfish - never once has she ever put herself before anyone else.
    I love my mum :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Natalie is definitely an inspiration. I studied Commerce in high school and I based my project based on Bloom and Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many things in my life that inspire me. My daughter inspires me to be the best role model I can be for her, and for her I strive to be strong, powerful and assertive.
    Collectively, the beauty blogging community inspires me to continue to improve my craft. I is by seeing the skills of fellow online publishers that I am inspired to develop my photography skills and only publish articles I can be proud of.
    My best friend inspires me to work harder at maintaining a loving and respectful marriage. She and her partner are truly one of the
    most committed couples I have ever met.
    Finally it is women like Natalie Bloom, Poppy King, Amy Doan and Jodie Fox who inspire me to follow my dreams and my passion. If these women can take a seemingly crazy idea, and turn it into something bigger than themselves, then I hold onto the hope of creating a similar destiny for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.