Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's My Birthday

I have never been one to celebrate my birthdays with parties. In fact I don’t think I’ve properly celebrated my birthday in the past 10 years. It would have been cake and dinner with family and that would be it and a few surprise presents from lovely friends.

In a few short days, It will be my birthday again. And this time round, it feels different. This is where I kiss my 20s goodbye and cautiously embrace womanhood in my 30s. 

I’ve always felt despite being an legal adult since I turned 18, I was still a young adult, one exploring and learning through experience, allowed to to make many mistakes and a free spirit, not laden with responsibilities and obligations. In my late 20s I had more responsibilities, but even though I felt like I was a proper full adult, I could still take time out to be silly and be a bit wild once every a while.

Now that I’m reaching a milestone date, mentally I have stepped across the threshold into a new paradigm. I feel the weight of responsibilities bearing on me more (though it is no different than the past few months), but there is a mental shift in my mind associated with turning 30.

So readers, help me dissolve my fears of getting another year older, and celebrate with me a milestone as I continue along my life journey.

It’s nerve-racking and exciting. I’m not sure what to expect in my 30s – hopefully exciting opportunities in love and career and in my ability to pursue my passions and all the things that bring me happiness and pleasure. 

No doubt beauty and blogging will continue to be an important part of it as clearly, it's one of those things I love dearly and I love sharing it with you.

14 comments:

  1. Early birthday wishes for you, my dear Amy. It's been a privilege getting to know you :) *big hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waah, I can't believe so many of the MBBE girls are 30 or over, you all seriously look young!! Beauty blogging must keep you all looking so young <3 Happy early birthday Amy <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tine, Celina - thank you lovelies for your advance b'day wishes and kind words <3

    It's the company like your good selves I keep that helps me stay young (at heart at least) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An early Happy Birthday! In my opinion the 30's are great, so much better than the 20's. You're older and wiser, more comfortable in your skin and more together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you a very happy birthday in advance! I love your positivity. I wish I will be that positive next year this time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, Wishing you Happy Birthday in advance !!! I agree with GlossQueen that 30's are so much better than 20's...I am sure you will love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! Glad to see you are brave in embracing turning 30, I hope I can be the same xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww thanks Su and Maddy - I've been freaking out about it for the past 3 months. I'm not really ready to embrace the big 3-0 yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, enjoy your special day, and welcome to the thirties :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan - thank you dear. I'm quietly optimistic but very nervous as well.

    Mel - thanks lovely. Will try to make the most out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! As they say the 30s are the new 20s so live it up! I'm over 30 and it's definitely better than my 20's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!! And that image looks rather familiar! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. JoyJoyc, Akisa - thanks lovelies.

    I found this stock photo on google images - it was the best of the bunch but I think I saw it on your blog as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so very young, I hope I hold onto my youth like you have!
    Enjoy your birthday, make sure your 30s are full of lots of blogging and lots of smiles=)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.