Monday, November 25, 2013

Quick tip on cleaning facial brush heads

If you use a cleansing brush to wash your face with, you'll enjoy the deeper cleansing that they provide, being able to remove dirt, grime and makeup residue better than manual hand wash can.

But after a period of time, the brush heads themselves gets quite dirty with the makeup residue (even after removing makeup before using the brush) and becomes grimy. Like makeup brushes, it's important to keep the brush heads cleans so that you don't have bacteria sitting on it and introducing it onto your skin when you go to use it.

You can clean your makeup brushes using the face wash itself but I find that wasteful and not the most effective as these cleansers are made to be gentle on skin. Instead I find foaming hand washes and makeup removers are the most effective brush cleansers.

dirty face brush heads getting a foamy wash

Here are my two favourite cleansers to revive the those worse for wear looking brush heads:

Dove Foaming Makeup Remover 155ml - RRP A$11.57

This makeup remover is great to use only only on your face but also if the bristles of your facial brush are starting to look more brown than white. Makeup removers have the ability to take away the residues of waterproof makeup and this  foam based one makes its easier to disperse and work into the bristles to quickly remove the grease and makeup build-up so the brushes look clean and white again.


Dettol Touch of Foam antibacterial handwash* 250ml - RRP A$3.49

This handy softening foam hand wash is strong at killing nasties but gentle on hands and with a sweet cherry blossom scent. Use this on your brush heads for clean, fresh bacteria-free bristles, eliminating the chance of spreading any germs back onto your face. The large pump means it's easy to dispense the right amount of airy foam for use as a hand wash or a brush cleanser and I've used it to wash a few of my eye makeup brushes as well.

The other things I always do is remove the brush from the body of the cleansing device and allow it to air dry properly. I find this is more effective that drying the brushes attached to its body unit, and means I can wash the unit of any soap scum

With proper care, you an pro-long your brush heads and not have to change them as frequently. The recommended time frame to change the brush head is after 3 months of daily use, but I find that I can get away with an extra month or so before I have to change brush head when I look after
Clarisonic (right) and Panasonic Visa Pure brush head after cleansing. Looking new again

Dove Foaming Makeup Remover and Dettol Touch of Foam handwash are available at supermarkets, leading pharmacies and Priceline.

* Product provided for editorial consideration

4 comments:

  1. Awesome tip! I have been wondering how i could thoroughtly clean my Phillips VisaPure brush heads, going to get myself some dettol foam now.
    Thanks for the post!


    http://pebblepenn.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Penny :)
      Definitely helps those brush heads last longer!

      Delete
  2. That's a really great idea! I use an alcohol spray to clean the body of the Clarisonic and the brush heads. I have also taken out the seal thingy and cleaned underneath with alcohol and a cotton bud (but I don't necessarily recommend that because it may damage it). I find making sure I leave all the pieces somewhere it will dry quickly helps a lot.

    www.mumsumsum.wordpress.com
    www.mumsummakeup.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your suggestions Mumsumsum. Alcohol spray will definitely kill off any bacteria lying around :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is appreciated.